Published by B&D Engineering,
Working with Magnets
I was excited to see the electro-magnets I designed showed up as well as the DCS880 drives so we can test several ways of operating the drives as magnet controls.
The 150lb Magnets in a nutshell:
- D=10' L=10' (12" total length as bobbins)
- n=3600 turns
- N=17 layers
- wire length 3080 m
- winding resistance 63 Ohm
- winding thickness 0.8 inch
- cylindrical coil
My friend Dennis (Meier Transmission) did the winding for me and did an awesome job.
The DCS880 from ABB arrived at the same time.
The planned testing:
- Current control of one magnet with forward and reverse polarity
- Voltage control of two magnets with a battery back-up
The main applications would be:
- Lift Magnets
- Magnetic sperators
- Magnetic chucks
We are excited to figure this out. We will keep you posted.